Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Destination Singapore: Mission Food. Part 2 - Snacks

Every foodie culture has its arsenal of snacks to combat hunger pangs that hit in-between meals. They come both in sweet or savory versions. Typically, they are fast to cook or if not cooked personally - are highly accessible. During my trip back home, I took the opportunity to look for some of my favorite snacks growing up in Singapore. 


1. "Zui Kuey"

First up - savory steamed rice cake; fresh from the steamer, eaten with a cooked fermented cabbage topping. The topping certainly does not sound scrumptious, but it certainly goes very well with the relatively mild flavor of the smooth textured steamed rice cake!

"Zui Kuey"

2. "Ang Ku Kuey"
The most famous and highly distinctive version of this delicious rice cake comes in bright red color. Not sure if the color represents the flavor, but the version I get from a neighborhood bakery (as shown in the picture) is light purple and is supposed to the 'salty' variety. It is not entirely salty, the predominant flavor is still sweet from the red bean filling inside these cakes. The banana leaf that they are placed also contributes a lovely fragrance to the cakes. Goes so well with a cup of tea.

"Ang Ku Kuey"

3. Spicy Mini Shrimp Rolls
Usually a festive snack, but these days, one can get them from the supermarket at any time. I recall making them from scratch with my mom and sister during the Ramadhan; the month that precedes the Muslim festival of Eid. My mom would buy dried shrimps, soak them overnight, then blend them into a rough pulp. A sambal is then made and the pulp is cooked in the sambal until dry and crispy. The most tedious task awaits after the filling is done, that is to roll each and every one of these by hand. A laborious work of love indeed! The end result is truly deliciousness in a small pack! Spicy and crispy, it is very hard to stop eating them once one gets going! These days, my sister buys them from her contacts in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. They taste just as delicious... No matter what time of the year I eat them, they will always remind me of the time we made them from scratch in my mom's kitchen.

Mini Spicy Shrimp Rolls

4. "You Tiao"
These are favorite breakfast snacks, and definitely Chinese. There are many ways of eating them. In Singapore, they are eaten with rice porridge, sweet bean porridge, or just on its own, dipped in the local Singaporean coffee (see next item). They are made fresh in the market. I always enjoy watching them made so deftly by the hawkers. Moulds of clean, fluffy dough are kneaded into rolls, then cut into rectangular pieces about 3-4 inches long and 1 inch wide. A long line is then imprinted in the middle of this rectangular roll of dough (usually with a long wooden stick), then pulled lengthwise to stretch three times its length, before being placed in a wok of hot oil. The hawker uses long, wooden chopsticks to guide the frying process. In a few minutes, fresh, hot 'you tiao' is ready for consumption. Oh I love to witness this process. Also just so I get the freshest 'you tiao' to go with my cup of fresh brewed... (see below).

"You Tiao"


4. "Kopi C Kosong"
One can write a whole blog entry on the intricacies of ordering coffee in Singapore. I shall attempt to explain some of the more common terms here. Kopi is the Singaporean word for coffee - not too challenging to the imagination for sure. But what does 'C' mean? In Singapore, Kopi C represents coffee with evaporated milk (as opposed to condensed milk that one will get when ordering just 'Kopi'). Don't ask me how the 'C' came about - I do not know. Kosong is the Malay word for 'empty'. In the context of Singaporean coffee however, 'kosong' means 'without sugar'. So in summary, Kopi C Kosong means coffee with evaporated milk, and no sugar. Complicated? Wait until you mix all that with more terms like 'peng' (iced), 'kau' (strong). Hehe... this truly separates locals from foreigners in Singapore!

"Kopi C Kosong"

5. Local Bakery Cakes
This last Singaporean snack holds a special place in my heart. It represents everything luxurious and foreign in my 7-year old mind. A slice of heaven; that could be purchased for 30cents a piece back then. Indeed a small fortune for little Ros. I will get a slice (or two when I was feeling particularly rich) from a bakery at Block 18 in Marsiling Drive. I took delight and a lot of pleasure from the act of choosing a slice; but usually I would choose the ones with bright red jelly (I guessed them to be strawberry jam. Hence my favorite because of my fascination for all things western). Fast forward a couple of decades, I have since tried pastries in many pastry capitals of the world, but nothing can ever quite match the 'specialness' of these cakes. I look at them with a lot of fond memories; and 7-year old Ros never fails to resurface at the sight of these humble cakes; all her hopes and dreams - in a slice.


Local Cake


Special thanks to Mr Fang Leow of Singapore for an education on 'zui kuey' and 'ang ku kuey'. :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos! I just ate and now I'm hungry again lol. Thanks so much for sharing! Great site! I am now following =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thank you very much for visiting and we're thrilled that you enjoyed our blog. We are major foodies and we also love to cook at home! Do check in on us when you can; we try to keep the blog updated with our latest experiments in the kitchen and food adventures in Chicago and beyond! :)

    ReplyDelete