Sunday, February 20, 2011

Huevos Rancheros

Huevos Rancheros

Huevos Rancheros is a popular breakfast dish in Latin America. Coming from Singapore, I was extremely intrigued when I first took a bite of this delicious, savory dish. It consists of 2  tortillas (made of cornmeal, a staple in Latin America), a sauce made of roasted tomatoes, garlic, chillies, onions, salt, pepper and cilantro - doused over eggs fried over easy.  For lack of other examples, I would say that the tortilla is similar to either the Indian 'chapati' or 'puri' (only that this is not fried like the puri). I love how the egg yolk bursts into the sauce - each bite is a mix of savory goodness - the roasted tomatoes work so well with the cilantro. The other ingredients to complete this meal are fried plantains ('pisang tanduk') and frijoles, which is a paste made of refried black beans. I have since tried this dish in many diners, but nothing can quite beat the one we make at home.

If anyone wants the recipe let us know - we will be happy to post it here. 

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favs! (Except, I break tradition and eat it with scrambled, not fried eggs...)

    ReplyDelete