Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pasta Ros (Spicy Tuna Pasta)

Spicy Tuna Pasta


This is a very simple recipe if you crave for a South East Asian twist to pasta. I cook this all the time both in Singapore as well as here in the US. I must say that for someone who does not generally like tuna, this dish turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me. I first tried it at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf coffee shops in Singapore - their version is less spicy and the sauce a lot more runny. I decided to embark on a quest to improve their version, so this is the final product. Ok - for the purists out there, a warning that I did not make my own tomato sauce, but use the readymade variety one can get from the supermarket. This is meant to be a 10min, no stress pasta dish, so we will leave the making of the tomato sauce from scratch for another time.

Level: Easy
Time for preparation: 20mins
Heat level: Spicy
Tips: Connie swears by this - Make sure the sauce is cooked before the pasta. The pasta must not wait for the sauce.

Ingredients
1. Dried spaghetti / linguine for 2 servings
2. 1/2 sweet onion (diced)
3. 1 fresno pepper (sliced)
4. 1.5 cups of tomato sauce (the readymade ones you get in a jar at a supermarket)
5. 1/2 lemon
6. 1/2 tbsp sugar
7. Salt to taste
8. 1 can of tuna in olive oil - buy the best you can get.
9. 1/s tsp of fresh cracked pepper

Preparation
1. Pour the olive oil from the can of tuna on the pan.
2. Stirfry the sweet onion.
3. Add the sliced fresno pepper.
4. Cook until the diced onion wilts.
5. Add the tomato sauce, stir for 1 min.
6. Add the tuna, stir until everything is mixed.
7. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the sauce.
8. Season with sugar and salt to taste.
9. Add the fresh cracked pepper to the sauce.
10. At the same time, cook the pasta in boiling water. Add 2 tsp salt and cook for 9mins.
11. When pasta is cooked, drain the water. Save some pasta water in a cup.
12. Pour the spicy tuna tomato sauce over the pasta. Mix well. Add some pasta water to the mix if necessary if you want to loosen the sauce. This will also help the sauce to coat the pasta better.
13. Serve on a plate, with grated parmesan cheese.
Copyrighted delimilli 2011

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ros, Tq for dropping by my blog. :) This pasta looks so good! Ive seen your other posts and I have to say Im impressed. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Briarrose and Zurin - this really is a very easy dish to cook. It makes a hearty dinner. I love spicy food, so you will see more of this kind of recipes coming. Thanks for visiting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! I'm going to make it right now!! I have lived in Singpaore for nearly 21 years and have just moved to Mexico...and I miss the food so much! Will definitely be following your blog for some inspiration for a taste of home! Happy Bloging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Travelling Chopsticks - thanks for your visit! Hope this recipe brings back some taste of Singapore for you. I miss Singapore's food too; which was my main motivator for starting this blog. There are no restaurants here that serve Singaporean cuisine, so I had to pretty much make them myself - you must be feeling the same. Anyway, come back again and check out our new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing useful pasta dish with us i will defiantly try this dish on my home. This dish looking good. Please do regular posting so that we can learn from you more dishes and try these dishes on our homes.

    ReplyDelete